Managing Core – Leading Innovation
12. September 2019
mit Dr. Tendayi Viki, PhD MBA, preisgekrönter Autor von „The Corporate Startup“
With the world changing fast, most leaders and managers now agree that innovation is an imperative for their companies. The challenge for many leaders in large companies and the “Mittelstand” is that they tend to treat innovation as a sideshow – something that is done by a small group of people away from the day-to-day business of running the company. Furthermore, when innovation does happen the focus is on using R&D to make the current product lines better or improve marketing to reach new customer segments. In other words, many leaders think they are leading innovation but what they are mostly doing is improving their core business.
Innovating on the core is important but it is not enough – companies also need to engage in business model innovation. To make their companies sustainable into the future, leaders need to learn how to lead and manage their core business, while at the same time driving an innovation culture that is focused on exploring new products and business models of the future. The challenge for leaders is how to manage these two important activities in the same company at the same time.
The key leadership discipline is to ensure that we do not manage innovation using the same traditional processes we use to manage the core business. Traditional management practices are not suitable for managing innovation. What is needed are new ways and practices for leading teams that searching for innovative and profitable business models. Great innovation teams are autonomous, cross-functional and use experimentation and iterative methods to create new products and services. Such teams require a different style of management from the traditional approach.
As such, leaders need to create and manage a future oriented innovation ecosystem. Active innovation leadership from managers is required for success. This is what this workshop is about. How do executives lead innovation and make it a repeatable process in their companies, whilst still managing the current core? Leaders can no longer treat innovation like a sideshow. Every company now needs a repeatable process for taking ideas from concept to scale.
- Understanding the key elements of a successful innovation ecosystem.
- Learn how to develop a good innovation strategy and manage a portfolio of business models.
- Learn about the various models a company can use to drive innovation.
- Understand how to make investments in innovation using metered funding.
- Learn how as leaders and managers they can manage innovation teams.
- Learn how to manage innovation by asking the right questions at the right time.
- Understand how they can transform their company to create a repeatable innovation process.
GERBUS Knowledge Days – Tagesprogramm
8.30 – 9.00 Arrival & Registration
The Invincible Company
- A short discussion on the business challenges of the contemporary world and how companies can use innovation to respond.
- Defining the different types of innovation that companies have as options.
- The key elements of an innovation ecosystem and how to create one.
Innovation Strategy and Portfolio Management
- How to decide where to play and make investments in innovation.
- How to manage a portfolio of business models that cover exploiting current.
- How to choose from the various innovation models that can impact our organization.
12.30 – 13.15 Lunchbuffet & Networking
Innovation Accounting and Management
- How to make investment decisions on products and teams using metered funding.
- How to lead innovation teams by asking the right question at the right time.
- How to build and manage an innovation culture within our organizations.
- The steps to take in building and leading a sustainable innovation ecosystem.
Wrap Up & Good Bye (latest at 18.00)
Coffee breaks – morning & afternoon included